Labrador training is the process of teaching your boisterous, enthusiastic Lab to become a gentle and obedient family dog. And my Lab training techniques will enable you train your dog in achievable positive steps.
The Labrador retriever is famous for being easy to train and the Labrador is renowned for their service as therapy dogs, guide dogs for the blind, detection dogs, hunting dogs and much more.
Your Labrador training journey begins the day you bring home your 8 week old puppy, and continues for every moment of the long and lovely years you’ll share together. Because even when you aren’t actively training your dog, they are still learning from you.
The Labrador training information you will need will depend partly on the role you have in mind for your Labrador. All Labs need socializing as puppies, and basic obedience training. But there are lots of ways that you can take training much further if you want to.
You’ll find links to resources on every aspect of Labrador Retriever training listed below, from puppy training to advanced training, with step by step training guides, tips, and advice.
Labrador Puppy Training
- Ages and stages of Labrador puppy training
- Potty training your puppy
- Train your puppy to pee outdoors
- Crate training tips
- Puppy recall training
A trained Labrador is a pleasure to own, and training your dog should be fun. All the dog training advice on this site is reward based and effective, and provided by experienced Labrador trainers. We hope you find it helpful!
Labrador Training Techniques
You can find a broad overview of the current most popular dog training methods here.
- Popular dog and puppy training techniques
- Clicker training introduction
- Bubble theory dog training
- Dog repellents vs training
- Is punishment in dog training ever okay?
- Shock collar training
- Residential dog training
- The about turn walk for keeping your dog close
- Stop your dog running away
- How to train a dog to come when you call
Basic Obedience Commands
These Labrador training guides focus on a particular command or cue.
- Teach your dog to come when called
- Train your dog to sit
- How to teach your Labrador to stay
- Lay down and stay down!
- Clicker training heelwork
Labrador Training Tips and Tricks
- Teach your dog to fetch
- Games to play with your Labrador
- Labrador trick training
- The benefits of working dog training for pet Labradors!
Labrador Behavioral Training
Big bouncy, friendly, dogs can be challenging at times. Especially when they are young. Labrador training can resolve your every day problems. Leash pulling, running off and jumping up are all common issues, which you don’t have to live with!
Your Training Questions Answered
- How long does it take to train your Labrador?
- What is the best age to start training a Lab puppy?
- Are Labs easy to train?
- Is it too late to crate train my dog?
Most people have problems at some stage, and with a little help you can overcome them. Before you begin, make sure that you have the right Labrador Training Supplies and Equipment. And don’t forget to join the buzzing community of Lab fans over on our Labrador Facebook Page. You’ll be able to see photos of Labs owned by other readers and share your dog’s story there if you want to.