G Whizz, dog names that start with G include some of the most fun, unusual and trending ideas around right now. Although the glorious letter G has ancient origins in Greek and Hebrew language, today it’s a top choice for cool and unusual puppy names. We share themed lists of unique dog names that start with G. Our choices are mostly short and sweet. Easy to say, simple for your pup to understand and use as that all important recall cue too.
- Best Dog Names That Start With G
- Girl dog names that start with G
- Boy dog names that start with G
- Cool G names
- Cute dog names that begin with G
- Funny and unique G dog names
- Tough dog names that start with G
If your pup is already with you, try each name out on him or her and see what response you get. Take your time and include your new dog in the process of choosing their new name and just have fun together! They’ll find two syllable names that crisp consonants and drawn out vowels easiest to pick up.
Finding a Grrreat Name For A Dog
If you are on the prowl for fabulous and fun dog names that start with G, you are definitely in the right place! With all the hustle and bustle that goes along with adding a new fur family member, sometimes it can feel like choosing your new dog’s name is just another item on your to-do list. You feel all this pressure to choose a name, to get it done, to have something ready to share when a friend asks, “So what is your new dog’s name?”
But maybe you just don’t know yet. Maybe all you do know is that you want a dog name that starts with G. And that is a great start! Now you can scan through all these great lists of dog names that begin with G and notice which ones pop out at you.
Naming Your Puppy or Rescue Dog
You’ve probably noticed how many purebred pups have these long fancy names. But behind the scenes, those pups also have what is known as a “call name” or everyday name. This is how a national dog show champion like GCHP CH Silverhall Strike Force comes to be called “Striker” around the house.
The wisdom here is simple: since you will likely be using your pup’s new name dozens of times each day, aim to pick a short name or a name that can be easily shortened into a nickname.
Do Dogs Know Their Names?
Canine cognition research – research to understand how the dog mind works – is uncovering some exciting things about how dogs think and what they feel. Some of the newest research indicates that dogs not only know their names but can pick out the sound of their names from other ambient noise. This research also suggests dogs prefer the sound of their name to other sounds.
In other words, just like your ears probably perk up when you hear your name spoken, your dog’s ears perk up too. So it is really important to pick a name you like and feel comfortable saying because your dog will want to hear it a lot!
Should You Change Your Dog’s Name
Have you ever looked at a dog (or a person for that matter) and had the thought that their name just doesn’t suit their personality? People change their names every day. So pups certainly can too! Your dog may even show you they want a new name by not responding consistently to the one they currently have.
All the latest research suggests dogs doesn’t care what their name is in the same way their people care. But dogs absolutely do learn to associate a particular set of vowels and consonants with their humans’ desire to communicate with them. Which is why it just makes good sense to pick a name you love to say and use. And with that in mind, let’s dive into our exploration of the best dog names that start with G!
Best Dog Names That Start With G
Every year names fall in and out of fashion. As of time of publication, here are some of the reigning top dog names that start with G.
Female Dog Names That Start With G
One fun way to choose your lady pup’s new name is to consider the special qualities and traits that make her so uniquely special to you. From feminine and fastidious to fun-loving and up for anything, these female dog names that start with G all describe different canine qualities. So all you have to do is match your new fur lady up with the right name.
- Gidget – for a real girly-girl
- Gypsy – for a footloose and fancy-free explorer
- Guinevere – for a regal canine princess
- Gabby – for a talkative pup
- Gaga – for the pup who loves to sing!
- Gada – for a lucky lady
- Garbo – for a real leading lady
- Genie – for a wish-fulfilling fur baby
- Ginger – for a red-haired girl
- Gladys – for a grateful dog
- Gracie – for the canine lady of the house
- Glenda – for the good witch in your household
- Gita – for a pearl of a pup
- Garnet – a precious sparkling dog
- Giselle – for a graceful ballerina of a dog
- Gussy – for the fastidious fine female pup
- Gretel – for the brave survivor
- Gala – for a sweet pup
- Gambina – for a pup who loves to be babied
- Gwennie – for a fair little lady pup
- Glory – for a beautiful glorious dog
- Girlie – for a sweet feminine pup
- Geisha – for a bewitching lady dog
- Geneva – for a dog that brings peace
- Gaea – for a mama dog
Male Dog Names That Start With G
In the same way, it can be great fun to get to know your new fur boy and then choose a name that highlights the parts of your pup’s personality you most cherish. These male dog names that start with G will make choosing a new name for your dog easy.
- Gus – for a friendly bestie of a pup
- Galahad – for a fierce protector
- Giant – for a big pup (or a pup with a big spirit)
- General – for a take-charge kind of dog
- Godzilla – for a dog who is larger than life
- Grant – for a great leader of a dog
- Giraffe – for a really tall dog
- Goose – for a dog that loves to have fun
- Gnome – for a short, squat dog
- Goober – for a silly goof of a pup
- Gobble – for the pup who always cleans his plate
- Grumpy – for the dog who always needs a minute
- Garfield – for the dog who thinks he’s a cat
- Goofy – for a dog who is always good for a laugh
- Guiseppe (Italian for Joseph) – a loyal father dog
- Governor – a decisive leader of the pack
- Gryffon – translates as “strong lord” for a fierce leader dog
- Gamble – for the dog who always takes chances
- Gouda – for the pup who loves cheese
- Giblet – for a pup who doesn’t know how tiny he is
- Guy – for the quintessential canine “man of the house”
- Guardian – for a loyal protector
- Galileo – for a thoughtful, intelligent dog
- Garfunkel – for a dog who loves to sing (or howl!)
- Grease – for the pup who can’t resist a good roll in stinky things
Cool Dog Names That Start With G
Is your pup cool as a cucumber? Does he or she always roll with it – or in it – whatever “it” may be? Check out these cool dog names that start with G.
Cute Dog Names That Start With G
Cute pups are in a class of their own. Irresistible from the get-go, these precious pets are always on the verge of sending us into “cuteness overload!” These cute dog names that start with G perfectly capture all that canine cuteness with each repetition.
Funny Dog Names That Start With G
Is your new dog a born comedian? Is their funny bone always working the room? These funny dog names that start with G make sure the laughs keep on coming.
Unique Dog Names That Start With G
A big part of the fun of naming a new pet is coming up with unique names to match their personality, traits and appearance. We think you will love this selection of truly unique dog names that start with G from the minor planets, stars, star systems and galaxies.
- Gomeisa (star in Canis Minor constellation)
- Gudja (star in Serpens constellation)
- Ginan (star in Crux constellation)
- Grumium (star in Draco constellation)
- Giausar (star in Draco constellation)
- Gienah (star in Corvus constellation)
- Guniibuu (star in Ophiuchus constellation)
- Gacrux (star in Crux constellation)
- Gemini (a constellation and star sign)
- Grus (a constellation that means “the crane”)
- Geometria (planet)
- Gaby (planet)
- Galatea (planet)
- Gnu (planet)
- Gerda (planet)
- Glo (planet)
- Gliese (planet)
- Greenwich (planet and time zone)
- Goberta (planet)
- Goethe (planet)
- Gretia (planet)
- Golevka (planet)
- Gongong (planet)
- Gongju (planet)
- Gomi (planet)
Fierce Dog Names That Start With G
Dogs have been protecting their people for thousands of years. So if your new rescue dog or puppy is naturally protective of you, you definitely want to highlight that when you choose a name. These fierce dog names that start with G will give you plenty of great names to pick from.
Fun Facts About Dog Names That Start With G
The letter “G” in our modern alphabet comes to us courtesy of more than one ancient alphabet. In Latin, G was first C before it became G. In Greek and Phoenician, the original letter G had a meaning that basically equates to “baby camel.” And in Hebrew, which intertwines with Greek, the character G extends to include the concept of universal goodness and nurturing – certainly these are dog-like qualities!
Yet the earliest hieroglyphic representations of the letter G look a lot like our modern “I” or the number “1.” And the earliest modern written version of G has survived primarily thanks to the browser giant Google, which used its signature “double loop” character in its logo until 2015.
Do you have any fun facts about dog names that start with G? Have you found your perfect G name for your new puppy or rescue dog? Post your favorites in the comments below.
More Great Dog Names
- Mallikarjun et al. “The cocktail party effect in the domestic dog (Canis familiaris),” Journal of Animal Cognition, 2019.
- Gibeault, S. MSc, CPDT. “20 Winning Show Dogs: A Roundup of AKC National Championship Winners,” American Kennel Club, 2020.
- Hempl, G. “The Origin of the Latin Letters G and Z,” JStor Open Access Journal, 1899.
- Wong et al. “The devil’s in the g-tails: Deficient letter-shape knowledge and awareness despite massive visual experience.” American Psychological Association, 2018.
- Dolan, C.“List of Named Stars in Alphabetical Order.” University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Astrology, 2005.
The Labrador Site Founder
Pippa Mattinson is the best selling author of The Happy Puppy Handbook, the Labrador Handbook, Choosing The Perfect Puppy, and Total Recall.
She is also the founder of the Gundog Trust and the Dogsnet Online Training Program
Pippa's online training courses were launched in 2019 and you can find the latest course dates on the Dogsnet website